Tourism in the name of Beauty
festival delle ville vesuviane
26 luglio 2020
villa campolieto – ercolano
In the heart of the Golden Mile, upstream of Villa Campolieto, Baron Enrico Petti commissioned the built of Villa Ruggiero in the second half of the 18th century. In 1863 it was bought by the Ruggiero family who kept the property until 1985 when it was acquired and restored by the Ente Ville Vesuviane. Its position on the slopes of the Vesuvius tells the story of a ‘country residence’ linked to agricultural activities. The current configuration does not correspond to the original one: the facade is dominated by a large portal in piperno and white marble, with Ionic capitals. The small building has three levels and two short lateral wings which, connected by an exedra, determine the space of the elliptical courtyard. The rear façade, looking at the Vesuvius, has a large serlian window that supports the terrace of the main floor, creating a gallery between the hexagonal vestibule and the courtyard.
The central window of the terrace is surmounted by a niche with the bust of San Gennaro facing the Vesuvius, in the canonical gesture of stopping the volcano’s lava, as in the tradition of the Vesuvian villas. The rooms on the main floor are organized around the large party hall, beautifully painted with floral, squared and oval patterns in Pompeian style. The side stables overlooking the courtyard, still preserve their piperno elements. Crossing the iron gate one goes up to the garden with the central avenue flanked by benches. On one side of the building there is a citrus grove, typical of the composition of the Vesuvian parks in the eighteenth century.